Your Question: Why is it so difficult to overcome weaknesses?
Everyone has areas of weakness to face and overcome (Job 14:1-2). I have met very few people whom understand how to face and overcome their shortcomings.
The first step to overcoming weaknesses is surrender. Weaknesses are a part of fallen humanity (sin). Therefore, only God can give power to face and overcome weaknesses. The Apostle Paul sought the Lord three times to remove his weakness, but God said:
“For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”
2 Corinthians 12:8-9
The Apostle Paul viewed his weakness from God’s viewpoint of eternity. In so doing, he could surrender his weakness easier.
Secondly, live the surrendered life. The Apostle Paul, again, adds light to the situation in verse 10. He states: “ Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”
Notice Paul’s emphasis in this verse. It is surrendering and the exchanged life. Paul states his weaknesses so Christ can become strong. Therefore, why is it difficult to overcome weaknesses? The world, the flesh and the devil fight against yielding to the sovereign will of God.
Latest posts by Dr. Rickey Nation, Ph.D. (see all)
- Can Sickness Be the Result of Indulgencing in Sinful Acts? - August 10, 2018
- I Was Wondering, Can You Tell Me What God Has to Say About Finding Hope Again? - June 29, 2018
- Please, tell me why does it feel, at this moment, like everyone is against me - June 15, 2018
- Can you tell me why nothing really changes when I try so hard? - June 8, 2018
- Hearing God’s Voice - May 23, 2018