Can Sickness Be the Result of Indulgencing in Sinful Acts?
Listen and read in your preferred language - Écoutez et lisez dans votre langue préférée - Hören und lesen Sie in Ihrer bevorzugten Sprache - Escucha y lee en tu idioma preferido
The Bible has a lot to say about diseases and causes. The sins of our ancestors can be passed down to us according to Exodus 20:5 to the third and fourth generation. Therefore, as long as a family system continues in a particular sin it will remain in their family. An example would be alcoholism.
Yet, can a sinful act actually cause a physical illness? The prophet Elisha in II Kings 5 had instructed Naaman in how to be healed of leprosy. Naaman followed the instructions to dip himself seven times in the Jordan River. He did and was healed. Naaman was so grateful that he wanted to pay Elisha, but God told him not to take any payment or offering from Naaman. Elisha refused Naaman’s offers, but his servant Gehazi secretly approached Naaman later and asked for the payment for himself.
When Gehazi returned Elisha confronted him and he denied his actions “…thy servant went no whither (verse 25).” Then the leprosy of Naaman appeared upon Gehazi and Elisha told him (verse 27) “the leprosy therefore of Naaman shall cleave unto thee and unto thy seed forever.” It was to be passed down through his genes (seed). It became part of his physical heritage.
Friends, be careful what you do because your actions can have effects upon your family for generations not only spiritually but physically as well.
Latest posts by Dr. Rickey Nation, Ph.D. (see all)
- Hey, Doctor! I know that change is hard, but is there a solution to why people don’t want to change? - January 17, 2019
- Why Married Couples Fight and What God Can Do About It! (Part 2) - December 11, 2018
- I suddenly feel rejected. In all honesty, what is God’s unique advice on this subject for me? - November 30, 2018
- I hurt very badly. Help me to comprehend what God is asking for me on this day - November 28, 2018
- What kind of advice does the Bible give for people with addictions? - October 26, 2018