I have been asked this question many times through the years. I have developed a comparison table to give and accurate answer. The table is as follows:
1. Founded upon evolution. 1. Founded upon Creation.
2. Not standardized. 2. Standardization through N.C.C.A.
3. Proven to be little to no effect. 3. Proven to be 95% successful.
4. High Cost. 4. Half the Cost.
5. Psychiatry has highest suicide rate. 5. Most people seek counsel from a minister.
6. Insurance may or may not pay. 6. Does not pay.
7. Many counselors enter because of unresolved issues. 7. Counselors are called of God.
8. Negative stigma on profession by media. 8. Ministry being attacked by media but respected by public, generally.
9. Tolerable recovery after years of therapy. 9. Most issues resolved in 6-9 months.
10. Non biblical. 10. Biblical and inspired by God.
11. May or may not have support groups. 11. Support groups available.
12. Robs people of hope by removing responsibility. 12. Always gives hope.
13. Can be revenge centered: “He had an affair. 13. Forgiveness Centered: “He had an affair.
You can have an affair too.” Forgive but set relational boundaries so it does not happen again.”
14. Sin is “acceptable” and “OK” 14. Sin is never acceptable but the person sinning is loved and accepted
15. Take the easy way out. 15. God will fight your battles. 2 Chronicles 20:15 “…Thus saith the LORD
unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for
the battle is not yours, but God’s.”
The suicide rate is significantly higher among psychiatrists than among those of any of the other sixteen specialty groups listed by the American Medical Association as a part of the medical profession. (Competent to Counsel, © October 1977 Baker Book House p. 21.)
Please keep in mind that counseling originally began as a church pastoral ministry. This ministry is a vital function of the church as evidenced in the name given to Jesus in Isaiah 9:6. It states, “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.”
Subscribe to our blog updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest blog and news updates.