The following qualities will characterize God’s thoughts interjected into your heart:
1. They are like your own thoughts and musings except that you sense them as coming from the heart not the brain, in that they will be spontaneous, not cognitive or analytical.
2. They can easily come as God speaking in the first person.
3. They are often light and gentle, and easily cut off by any exertion of self (own thoughts, will, etc.).
4. They will have an unusual content to them, in that they will be wiser, more loving, and more motive-oriented than your thoughts.
5. They will cause a special reaction within your being (e.g., a sense of excitement, conviction, faith, life, awe, peace).
6. When embraced, they carry with them a fullness of strength to carry them out, as well as a joy in doing so.
7. Your spiritual senses are trained as time goes on, and you will more easily and frequently experience God speaking in this way.
8. Remember: God is speaking to you all the time, and you are receiving His injected thoughts. Until you begin distinguishing them from your own, you are simply grouping them all together and assuming they are yours. In learning to distinguish His voice, you are learning how to separate the spontaneous thoughts that are coming from Him from the analytical thoughts that are coming from your own mind.
There is a series by Mark Virkler, “How to Hear God’s Voice” that can help you learn more about distinguishing God’s voice from your own.
Subscribe to our blog updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest blog and news updates.