Hey, Doctor! I know that change is hard, but is there a solution to why people don’t want to change?
Listen and read in your preferred language - Écoutez et lisez dans votre langue préférée - Hören und lesen Sie in Ihrer bevorzugten Sprache - Escucha y lee en tu idioma preferido
There are two main issues that keep individuals from changing. They are pride and shame.
PRIDE is used to deny a problem exists or to minimize a problem. It’s like acknowledging that there is smoke, then refusing to believe that a fire exist.
SHAME is the opposite. Shame keeps people from changing because shame says, “I’m hopeless. I’ll never change.” or “I can’t believe what I did. I don’t want anyone to know.” Max Lucado said, “If pride goes before the fall, then shame is what keeps you from getting up after one (a fall).”
Both of these two put and can keep individuals in spiritual bondage which prevents change. This bondage is what keeps individuals from turning to God with their problems.
Individuals need to be reminded of, or learn that God says in
I John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
Confession and repentance of pride allows God’s power to work. It cleanses individuals and releases them from shame to allow freedom in Christ.
Jesus said in John 8:11,
“Neither do I condemn thee; go and sin no more.”
Latest posts by Dr. Rickey Nation, Ph.D. (see all)
- Hey, Doctor! I know that change is hard, but is there a solution to why people don’t want to change? - January 17, 2019
- Now That The Elections are Over, In What Direction is America Headed Today? - December 14, 2018
- Why Married Couples Fight and What God Can Do About It! (Part 2) - December 11, 2018
- I suddenly feel rejected. In all honesty, what is God’s unique advice on this subject for me? - November 30, 2018
- I hurt very badly. Help me to comprehend what God is asking for me on this day - November 28, 2018